Juggling life through a bi-polar lens. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly trying to tread water in the middle. Creating a likeness to a normal life. Whatever "normal" is...

Wednesday 21 May 2008

ABC Wednesday......


R is for Rolo....

ROLOs are soft caramelly toffee covered in milk chocolate. I remember them from my childhood. They were made by Rowntree-Mackintosh back then. Nestle bought the company but I'm pleased to say that they didn't change the recipe. Although......... I'm sure the pack used to be bigger! Here is the pack I bought yesterday, with Bob T Bear (esq) for scale. (Bob is an 8inch Bear.)The shape of a Rolo is unique:
This pack says "NEW creamy toffee" but they've always been soft and creamy, so I don't know what this means.Once you unwrap them they all come tumbling out..In the early 1980s an advertising campaign was started with the tag-line, "Do you love anyone enough to give them your last Rolo?" I was still at school, and can testify to many teenage crushes around me being made official by the exchange of a last Rolo.

The tag-line has stood the test of time in the UK. Receiving a last Rolo is like receiving a single red rose.

Last year, I bought my partner a solid silver "Last Rolo" for his birthday:

WAIT a minute!!
WHAT the????
Oh dear- never leave a Bear near an open pack of chocolates, especially Bear-size ones...


Ahh!
For me?
Oh, thank you, Bob! The last Rolo? I love you too!

*****

For more info ABC Wednesday posts, go to

Mrs Nesbitt's blog

where you will see info on how to join in, and a table of links to those taking part.

*****

27 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Hugs to Bob!

Edmund will be leaving soon!
Watch out the North Pole!

BumbleVee said...

Ohhhhhh sweet, sweet Bob....how much he loves you...

FO - 2 said...

CUTE post! :)
I`ve never tasted ROLO.
In Norway we have a similar chocolate called SMIL (smile in english). Yummi. ;)

Ida

Anonymous said...

I love Rolo's, but I haven't had any for quite some time. Our packaging is different. Now I must get some.

Unknown said...

Very cute and funny R post!

Leslie: said...

I LOVE ROLOS TOO!!! I particularly enjoy them while watching a movie. Glad Bear left you one. lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks! You gave me a smile today with your comments about the bear and the last ROLO. You have the best post today at ABC!!

Petunia said...

LOL!
This is my favorite post this time. Sweet and yummi!

Petunia's ABC

Anonymous said...

Dear Helena,
Thank you for your suggestions on my statement. I applied them all. Much warm appreciation. (Hugs)

Shrinky said...

Helena, you are inspired.. such a great post. Wish I had even just one ounce of your creativity. I so loved reading this (grin).

ps. I NEVER shared my last rolo, I just slept with them instead.. giggle.

(It was a long time ago.)

Super Happy Girl said...

Gotta watch out for that little spy bear, he's fast :D

Thanks for visiting!

kml said...

Rolos are so good! Cute post you made - very creative!

Stardust said...

Bob! Heer yu ar... Hugs.

A sweet boy yu ar, bob. Mummy surely luvs yur Rolo.

Hey Helena, a great post this is. I smiled when I read about those last Rolos you've received. Sweet. =)

Jane said...

Ahh! Rolos. I love them. What a wonderful R! The only person I've been known to give my last Rolo to is ExpatOwl, but it was a tough call! ;-)
Thanks for your visit. Hope the birds are doing well.

Neva said...

What a cute post! I love Rollos......yum.
My R's are
here Neva
and here Neva's2.

Kyanite said...

What a brill R post!
I loved it - so glad you got that last Rolo from Bob.

Cutting down trees is sacrilege, you hang fire re that neighbour.

Take care
Blue

VP said...

Tee hee! You must be back on the chocolate the?

Miss_Yves said...

Funny and creative post about ...publicity !it looks like a short movie!
miss Yves

Anonymous said...

That's brilliant. I have been looking over my wife's shoulder at your blog... had to say something.

Dragonstar said...

That is a beautiful story! You have a truly loving relationship with Bob. I love Rolos! I'd never heard of the silver Last Rolo before.

I grew up with a tall and tidy Rosemary. The one I have now is doing just what your back-garden one does - flolloping is a very good word.

James Higham said...

What if you give your FIRST rollo? Does that count?

Andrea said...

Cute post. I love Rolo's

david mcmahon said...

Solid silver? By the time Bob finishes, it might only be a solid SLIVER!!

There's only one way (and only one place!!) to retrieve it, you know!!

Sandy Kessler said...

Thank you go sharing the faith in the shadows. I loved it so genuine..My thing is because I got a disease all my savings retirement house funds for years and years go to bills and along come more and more and finally I cannot get by. I am so blessed to be alive but the quality is not too good..I have such hope but it never changes, sometimes I laugh Sometimes just tired tired My faith propels me though.

CherryPie said...

So cute :-)

What a lovely series of photos :-)

G said...

Bob is a real sweetie pie - and that is a fantastic present to give your sweetie pie - the silver rolo! Cool idea.

i beati said...

I love rolos I have a proposition for you thank you for all your lovely insightful and honest comments on my blog today May 26- Some day when I have some money maybe you can help me get a European italian greyhound all blue - We seldom see Euros here, and all my life I've wanted one- the advertising sites are too expensive - way down the road . no money at present. Do you have the one cat?