Juggling life through a bi-polar lens. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly trying to tread water in the middle. Creating a likeness to a normal life. Whatever "normal" is...

Wednesday 11 June 2008

ABC Wednesday......

U is for UNDER...
...and UPDATE!

The people who lived here before us put some old railway sleepers in the garden, as edging and in place of a small wall. I find all sorts around them. I spotted mousie tucked behind one the other night and threw him a grape. I didn't really know what to throw this wee fella, though:

Can you see him?
It's about 9pm, and he is just coming out of his daytime snug-spot u
nder one of the sleepers.Bit closer.... (and a bit blurred, sorry 'bout that.. )We're told that years ago, maybe till 2002, there was a pond in the garden. The previous owners filled it in as they were worried about their toddler falling in. Nobody told the frogs and newts, and we still get them! I might see a maximum of two frogs in the daytime, but if it rains in the evening they all appear. I creep about the garden looking at them, saying hello and counting. (I'm fully aware that either the frogs or the neighbours or both will think I'm barmy. Hey ho.) The record so far is 18. I wonder where all the others hide out????

We can't do a pond, but we do have birdbaths on the lawn, and one or two frogs snuggle in under that. I also keep a small, covered tray filled with water under a tree for them. Sort of a mini frog-lido:

That's a ceramic lizard in the front of this next pic, but he soon gave the frogs the right idea. Here's one enjoying the cool pool, safe and secret, under the roof:

*****


Remember "Q is for Quack" a few weeks ago???
Are they OK?
Are they still together?

Well, "U" is for "Update", after all, so.....hey, what's this?....
Ah! A pile of ducks!!!!
Looks like the kids have got new shoes....
"Look, Ma! Winglets!"

She looks very pleased and proud:
And no wonder- she still has all eleven, safe and well!

During the "Half Term" week's holiday, when the school was closed, the caretaker went in and checked on them regularly, with food etc. There were lots of storms that week, and heavy rain, so it was important to see that they got through it OK...

We don't know when it will be that they are lead through the classroom and out the other side to the school's larger pond, but we've asked them to give us notice of the great event- hopefully we'll get it on video!!!

Meanwhile, here's a few seconds of them moving around(!)-

If you can't see it here, try direct on YouTube via this link.

Hope they made you smile!


*****

For more info ABC Wednesday posts, go to

Mrs Nesbitt's blog

where you will see info on how to join in, and a table of links to those taking part.

*****

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, How sweet is that. What great U's you posted. I do see the frog under and the update is fabulous...

Leslie: said...

You surely did make me smile with that update! Imagine all 11 of them survived! And I can't imagine going out and saying hello to all those frogs...lol

Anonymous said...

It's a ducky sort of day here - we used to have them and they always cheer you UP no matter what the weather.

Marlow Traore said...

great shot session;)

I like the duck race

mrsnesbitt said...

We have kept ducks in the past....so rewarding but hard work....now we just have Jo bless, the old gander.

Miss_Yves said...

Great ideas !Well done !
Your set pictures look like "comics "
The ducks are cute (photos and video)
Miss Yves

Jane Hards Photography said...

Fabulous. Nice storyboard for u this week .

Petunia said...

Great U, great update:)

Neva said...

For a minute I thought it was a snake and then I was going to be so outta here! just kidding, nice frogs and under is perfect for them! I seem to have many more frogs (and they maybe toads for all I know) this year around the yard.
Mine is here.

Dragonstar said...

You have such a good idea with the froggy lido - I must remember that for possible future use.
Thank you so much for the Update. What a clever mother to raise all eleven, and how they've grown! I love ducks.

CherryPie said...

They certainly did make me smile :-) they are so cute ;-)

Kyanite said...

What a treat seeing that duckling family, great Update!
Do keep us posted.
Xtra info maybe!

nonizamboni said...

You made my day with the frog and the update on the ducks. Wonderful photos--I love the last one of them all filing in.
Thanks for sharing!

Katney said...

I didn't see all of your frogs--too dark for my tired eyes. But under is just what U need for a good U.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

a very entertaining post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Helena,
I see the frog under and thanks for the update. That's a big bunch o'quackers.

david mcmahon said...

Yes, Helena, you always make me smile. I like the colours of the leaves - and your experimentation with the camera.

i beati said...

ducks and frog s how lucky you are and hedgies??

Question "is Graham Norton as popular in England as he is here. for me ?? sk

Stardust said...

The 11 are too cute for description. =)