Juggling life through a bi-polar lens. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly trying to tread water in the middle. Creating a likeness to a normal life. Whatever "normal" is...

Friday 18 July 2008

21st Birthday card for Aimee

Aimee is one of two nieces I have, the other being her elder sister, Vicky. Their family all moved to Australia in 1996 so the last time I saw the girls they were still in school. It's hard to believe that Aimee will be 21 next week. Oh boy.

Well, I doubt this will get to her in time, but hope that when it gets there she likes it.

I think the 21 owls will make her smile, and a smile is as much as you can hope for from a card!

The card is one of a pile sent to me by Mrs Nesbitt, who had some spare and was having a clearout!!! I used a blue stamp pad to colour some sky, and tore some green paper for the grass. The wood of the tree is actually real bark.

The leaf and owl paper is from a range of new papers called "Secret Garden" by a company called "Papermania". They do matching stamps, too, but I couldn't afford to get them as well as the paper, so I just sat and cut out 21 owls!!

Tucked inside the card and just visible from the front, I made a bookmark and trimmed it with real feathers (though I can't be sure they once belonged to an owl). This inside pocket is made of folded paper from the same range... The bookmark is made from two pieces of patterned card stuck back to back. I wrote Aimee's name with an embossing pen and used red embossing powder: The back: no card from an aunt would be complete without a corny "life message"! Anyway, I hope she likes them. It kept me out of mischief for an hour or so.... ;^) By the way, if you are in the UK and use crafty stuff, take a look at Artymiss.co.uk - they have quite a lot in a sale at the moment so you might find a few bargains!

12 comments:

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Hi Helena! First, your owl card is so beautiful and there's a member of my family who would love it! My sister-in-law. She is bonkers over owls. Second, thank you for your votes. Yes, I understand the Other. It's difficult to come up with 4 or 5 names of hundreds who could be just as good. You should see my list of hopefuls! Thanks again, Helena! Petra :)) p.s. Will keep you posted on the winners!

mrsnesbitt said...

Helena,
Wonderful, really!
I use publisher for my cards.........
only to print

"Made by a wife near you"
on the reverse!

Or..
"Made by your favourite auntie"


LOL!

If you have publisher I will send you the template.

Great stuff!
Dxxx

CherryPie said...

What a wonderful card. I do so love owls, I have a collection of china owls in my cabinet.

Maybe I could get the card diverted to me ;-)

Mrs Mac said...

Petra Michelle,

Thank you for your visit. I'll be nipping by to read more scripts!!!
Thanks for the feedback re the card. You all do such great works of art over there!

Denise,

I used to have MS Publisher on my old PC but when it blew up I tried to upload everything to the new one and Publisher didn't jump over. Now we can't find it. REALLY annoying as it was so useful, and I had a few things stored as MS Pub. files. Grrr.
I have Paintshop, which is quite fun. I could probably do something with that.

I saw a great stamp the other day that said, "This card is handmade and if you throw it away I will make a doll in your image and stick pins in it."

What do y'reckon, too strong? LOL

Cherrypie,

Well maybe I could have a go at something else owly. Can't promise the tree image as the rest of the bark fell to bits. LOL!

The hardest part was remembering to write "Owl" and not "Wol", which is what we call them in this house. When I first got the paper, I held it up against the wall and said to my other half, "What's this? What's this? WOL paper!!!"

He groaned.

;^)

Lynda (Granny K) said...

What a great card! I'm sure that Aimee will be thrilled to receive it.

Dragonstar said...

That's a great card, she'll be thrilled to receive it.

I'd no idea you could get such great papers. I'll have to look into this.

PS - Love the Wol paper!

Shrinky said...

You are so gifted, this card is wonderful - and the amount of love and care you poured into creating it makes it all the more special. Your neice will adore it (who wouldn't?).

My eldest daughter's middle name is Aimee. Smile

Kyanite said...

Your creative skills & patience never cease to amaze me.
I adore owls so this card is a real hit with me - It is wonderful.

By the way no need to send any secret detective bears in my direction I have cake - chocloate rolade & cream - will post a photo later to prove it - LOL!
Thanks for your kinds sympathetic words & hugs
Love
Blue
Blue

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Hello again, Helena! Wanted to let you know that Dame Judi and Donald Sutherland are the winners of "Happy Grooming." Thank you again for your kind words and vote.
I hope you enjoy the next which is called, "Wayworn Home." It's a bit of a tear jerker. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend! Petra
:))

Andrea said...

I am sure she will love the card. It is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hello Helena
Thanks for your message, sorry I haven't been around much either (hope Bob will forgive me!). The photo a day project is keeping me busy.

I love these two cards you've just produced - they're really beautiful.

Chalky

Katy said...

Loving your card! I adore the Papermania owls too!