Juggling life through a bi-polar lens. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly trying to tread water in the middle. Creating a likeness to a normal life. Whatever "normal" is...

Sunday 19 July 2009

A Creative Splurge.....

From Thursday evening till Friday afternoon, we were entertained with thunderstorms swirling round and around us. Interspersed with blue skies and sunshine, they kept coming back. Then, we had the biggest clap of thunder I've ever heard- imagine someone slamming all the doors in your place at once, then imagine that they had wired them up to speakers! WOW! I love it. But I know not everyone does. My Bear hates it and hides in the airing cupoard.

Anyway. Over the same period I seem to have had a creative splurge, producing 21 cards and 13 decoupaged "toppers" to go towards 13 more. And yes I did remember to eat and go to bed, and do a few other things as well. LOL! Amazing! Other times I can just about motivate myself to get up.

I was going to split these up over several posts but then I thought no, I'll log what it's like when I'm in the upward part of the zig-zag. Busy, busy, busy, doing lots of things at once. I actually packed up all my stuff twice, then gradually pulled it all out again as I thought of something else to make....enjoy!

*** *** *** *** ***

13 Decoupage "Toppers" to be set onto cards at a later date.....


These two are my favourite ones. This first one is so delicate, like lace...On this one I used paper with tiny roses on and you can just see some of them...
Lorianna and Feronia asked how I do these so I'll post some step-by-steps next time I do one! Promise!

BTW, they're not expensive and they're not complicated, really! They are very relaxing to do.

Dragonstar asked about putting them in envelopes.
You can get special envelopes with a walled side, giving some extra room inside. I bought some just yesterday from The Papermill, £1.99 for 10 (click link for a pic of them). Or you can just put them in a padded envelope or 'jiffy bag', OR, just use an ordinary envelope a bit bigger than the card and wrap bubble-wrap round the card inside.

Whichever I use, I wrap the card in tissue first so that bits aren't caught when the recipient pulls the card out.

Set of 5 glitter cards, 4 x 4 inches...
In a small, independent stationery shop in town, I found this pad of 8 x 4 mulitcoloured card, 24 sheets in it, for £1. It's a good thickness for cards so I had to buy it! Bargain! Now I have to find some 4 x 4 envelopes, or make some! LOL!

Set of 5 cat cards, 4 x 4 inches....These are "outline stickers" which I've stuck onto cartridge paper, then coloured with ProMarker pens.
The papers are scraps and cut-offs of vellum.
I keep a basket for "scraps and little bits". It was fun to use some of them up!

Card for a new baby (boy!)
I rounded off all the corners on this one since I took the photo. It finished it off, and also means the newbie won't poke his eyes out!
One in pink....
Another of the fairy tags, which came free with a magazine a few months ago.
Wouldn't have been something I'd have bought, mind, not really me. But I like what I did with them. Lots more left too. Trying to use some stuff up, as you may have gathered!

For my niece...
This one is larger and uses real pressed flowers. Do you like the butterfly stickers? They're made by "Anita's" and called "Dimensions Stickers" as only part of them sticks down. The rest you can lift up for a 3D effect but they fold down to be posted.
A try at Iris Folding...
My first go. It was fiddly but fun!
It's for for a young nephew of my partner's, whose favourite toy is a dolphin called Dolphy....
(actually it's a little early to show this but I'm sure he won't be visiting so we should be ok!)

Here's the back. This is large, an A5 card:
Note for my Japanese friend, Mikiko...
The image was free in a craft magazine this month. I cut it out and coloured it with ProMarker pens and glitter.
Actually, I added some rosy cheeks since taking the photo!
Just Pootling....
Oh! I made two of these. Seem to have only photographed one, though. Oh well! They were almost the same anyway.... the birds are rub-on transfers.

And some more of those "dimensions" stickers!
This one has a mark on it. I need to work on this one...
Two nice, simple, flower ones:Love this last one:
Well I think that's it for now.
The thunderstorms must be good for me. Maybe it's like mild ECT. LOL!

Let me know which was your favourite! I need to give my achey hands a rest now!

15 comments:

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

Wow I don't think I've ever seen so many new pieces in one go! Loved the fairy tag and the iris folding - reminds me to have another go at that! Really great set of work, you should be proud.

Mrs Mac said...

Ooo thanks, Gail!

sammawow said...

My goodness, your cards are gorgeous! And I love those toppers - I will be back for the tutorial too! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Mrs Mac said...

THanks Sammawow! I enjoyed visiting your pusscatty place. Nothing like cats'toes to warm my heart on a breezy afternoon :)

Julie said...

They're all beautiful Helena.

i beati said...

you have explodeed ..how to send in a few weeks I have great trouble with pay pal..visa ??

Lythan said...

Well you have been busy. What wonderful cards! Love those fairy tags :)

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Those are very pretty as usual.

Feronia said...

I just love the toppers, Helena, and the last one with the flower on a dark background, but they are all fantastic.

Poopsie aka Blue said...

Hi Helena!

What delightful cards - you never cease to amaze me with your neat designs.
I too love the thunder storms and the buzz lightening gives me but sadly it doesn't make me creative.

Take care
Love
Blue

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Are they embossed designs that you are making and stcking up? I am curious as a cat!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful selection of cards, toppers and tags. Absolutely gorgeous. :)

Vanessa.

Dragonstar said...

What a busy time you've had! Thanks for the info on envelopes for decoupage cards, and I'm looking forward to the instructions later.
All your cards are quite different, and all are beautiful. The dolphin is lovely - deceptively simple, and should be much appreciated. The last two flower cards are lovely. You have so much talent!

L. Alida said...

Oh Helena, I am just gasping over each and every card and those toppers! Oh to have a burst of energy and the amazing talent to go with it... You don't get the warmth and intimacy like that in store bought cards. The iris folding? No way could I get my fingers to do that! It's nice to see you having such a good time doing what you love. That's something most people long for at some point in their lives.
Tell Bob the Bear that my cat Cody hides under furniture when it thunderstorms. It's okay to be a little freaked out by them. :) That's what us Mums are for. ;)
I hope this week is a lovely one for you.
Hugs,
Lorianna

Linda . J said...

Wow u have been a busy bee and I love them all, you are a very talented lady Helena. I .ove the cat one and hid or her bottom so cute.
All fantastic.
Hugs Linda