Juggling life through a bi-polar lens. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly trying to tread water in the middle. Creating a likeness to a normal life. Whatever "normal" is...

Wednesday 22 February 2012

52/4 week 10

I completely forgot about this last week- I blame the anit-biotics, steroids, coughing and general bleagh!! Sorry for the confusion.


 Pure
by Andrew Miller
A draught, finding its way up the stairs, ripples the candle flames in the drawing room and a few moments later Monsieur Monnard appears.

A NOTE ON THIS BOOK:
I had trouble putting this book down. It's so well written. The story revolves around a man who is tasked with the terrible job of removing the cemetary and church of Les Innocents, now overflowing and a health hazard, in central Paris. This timeline is a few years before the French Revolution begins. In the background, barely touched on, there are rumblings, nighttime meetings and anti-Royalist graffiti keeps appearing round the city. But these are background details. We, the readers, know what is up ahead, but the people in this book don't. I found myself wondering, would this person survive? would they be killed? The book stops before the revolution begins, so we're left wondering what will happen to the people we met in its pages. The sights and smells and atmosphere of a crowded city full of miscontents is brought alive.

Is that really a Kindle version????? A KINDLE????
Ah yes, I have a Kindle. My apologies to purests eveywhere! LOL
This was a gift from Luvbug at Christmas. I wasn't sure of them myself when they first came out, especially as I love book fairs so much. But after seeing someone use one on the bus, and seeing how clear (not backlit) the screen was, and how you can increase the font of any book, I began to be a fan.

Since Christmas I have literally lost count of how many books I have read, whereas before, I was struggling to get through one book over several months. I can't fully account for the difference, I just know it works. Lots of free classics available; I've just started Les Miserables which I downloaded for free...

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
As before, if you'd like to join in here's how-


* Pick any book,
* go to page 52
* give us the sentence that contains line 4. -Can be more than one sentence. (e.g. You may need to go   back a few lines to find the beginning of the sentence or continue a few lines to complete it.)


Leave your results in the comments. Or, if you want to put it as a post on your own blog, just leave us a link to find it there!

7 comments:

Blue said...

LOL here, as I'm now a week ahead of you, as posted last week!
'Pure'. sounds a fascinating read, one I must find. While visiting Paris with Little Buddy visited the cities Catacombs - amazing and a wee bit scary re the bones.

Eileen said...

From 'Enigma' by Robert Harris ::

"I don't know." Jericho shrugged. "Just to handle it. To get a feel of it. I've been out of the game for a month."

I also enjoyed the 2001 'Enigma' movie. All the acting was superb, especially Dougray Scott as the troubled Tom Jericho. I highly recommend it.

Our family had the privilege of living in Bletchley, Milton Keynes for 3 1/2 yrs from 2001-2004. We were in Aylesbury before that. I also recommend Bletchley Park as a day trip for those who enjoy historical sites.

Helena, you may have twisted my arm a little bit more re the Kindle. I've seen people using them whilst I'm waiting for doctors' visits lately. The doctors haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with me yet, and as my right hand is still mostly painfully unusable, maybe a Kindle would be easier to use than trying to hold a book open?

(Sorry for such a long comment.) 8-O

Blue said...

Thanks Helena for that wealth of comments, all much appreciated & enjoyed.
Have to admit I'm like Lovebug re being untidy, I'm awfully bad.

Blue said...

Forgot to add, I too am a fan of Nigel Slater too, as he cooks like we do daily!

Beanie Mouse said...

Well, it seems the kindle is suiting you!!! Hope you're feeling better and less "snotty"!!

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Still Live with Murder by P.B. Ryan



"I'm so sorry'" Nell said, but in truth, she was somewhat intrigued by the exotic ailment; she wished it wouldn't be considered rude to ask.

Timaree said...

From "Lottery" by Patricia Wood: I would have sheets, towels, Grams underwear, and her pajamas. Those are the whites. My shirts, jeans, and Grams dresses are the dark. Thinking of this makes me sad so I have to cry again.

I love my black and white kindle as it's so easy on the eyes especially if I am outside but I also love my tablet which is backlit for books with color pictures.

Isn't it fun to get back into reading again? I didn't want to keep filling my house up with paper books plus now I have several books with me at any time.