Juggling life through a bi-polar lens. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly trying to tread water in the middle. Creating a likeness to a normal life. Whatever "normal" is...

Saturday 4 December 2010

Update on Fluffy

I have been totally stunned and humbled by the huge response to my call for advice on Fluffy. Thank you all for your support and all the knowledge and hunches you shared, both here and via email. It has meant so much and made it easier to get through these very worrying days...


We returned to the vet this morning with her. It was the same surgery, but the boss vet rather than one of the part time ones. We handed in a urine sample for her, and they took some blood.We won't have the blood results till Tuesday, but I did ask specifically about anaemia and he said that Fluffy's gums weren't pale, and the blood looked ok, so he doesn't think so, but of course will make sure. He rang with the urine results this afternoon:

He said that there is now no sign of bacterial infection and also no sign of crystals or blood. Fluffy managed to produce a decent amount of wee, and it was clear.

What he DID find, however, and which is quite worrying, is a high number of bladder lining cells. He has suggested that this might indicate a tumour.

I have tried to read up again on this, thanks to Google I have read tons on feline urinary problems(!) but I can't find much about an excess of bladder lining cells. I gather that kidney stones might cause this. What confuses me is that I've read about a tumour test that can be done on urine to rule a tumour in or out. If this is so, why didn't the vet just do this?

I wonder also if it is just an after-effect of the anti-biotics?

Anyway.......... another thing; she has lost weight in the last month, down from 3.8kg to 2.6kg. There are 2.2lb to a kg, so she has lost about 2 1/2lb. This is a lot for a little cat. She is beginning to look emaciated.

He has given me some special, high calorie and highly smelly food to whet her appetite; Hills A/D, it is called. She should have a minimum of 3/4 of a little can per day. Today so far she has had a little under half. I am very pleased with her for this :) and I'll continue to tempt her into eating more whenever she stirs.

She is sticking to her box, with dish and small hot water bottle (wrapped in a jumper) just inside. She even sneaked out into the snow yesterday, when I slipped out to feed the birds. She had a wee out there and then just lay in the snow. I told her, you can't do that, not here, it's too cold. She told me off and walked back in.

I hope she pulls through. She does still meow an awful lot, and this seems centred around her tray, so I think it is weeing and the thought of an impending wee that causes the meowing. She sounds so sad and in pain, but when I pick her up she stops. When the vet examined her he pushed all around her bladder and she didn't protest and also she loves to be groomed still, so I can't decide whether she is in pain or not. I am sure that if it is proved she is suffering I will let her go, as I can't be having her hurting, no matter how much I would miss her and grieve for her. She's had a nice life and I want her last bit of life to be nice too, not lingering in pain.

Poor wee thing. She has gained the nickname 'Twiglet' now.

As before, any thoughts would be so welcome. Please purr your loudest for her......


17 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Such mixed feelings. She is better, but.... We hope and purr that they find the problem, soon.

Kea said...

We're continuing to send purrs and Light. Other than Convenia-related anemia, which it doesn't seem to be, we don't have suggestions. We think you said her thyroid (T4) was fine, correct?

Poor sweetie. We know you will do what is for her Highest Good -- and that's all of of us can do for our beloved fur companions.

Julie said...

I am so purring here Helena. :-) I'm thinking about you and Fluffy and sending you both lots of love and strokes for Fluffy. xxx

Mrs Mac said...

Kea, no, she is on a drug called Vidalta for her hyperthyroidism...

Admiral Hestorb said...

Oh we will purr hard hard hard for her. I wish to goodness I know what the matter was..I wish I could say that I have heard of it.

MY girl is hyperthyroid and her blood yest yesterday showed her at 2.2. She's under control BUT she has spoken out quite a bit in the night. Not too terribly but enough that it wakes me and she insists that I get up at 0600.

I will keep looking for updates. I am going to follow you so I will knwo when there is one.

Timaree said...

Maybe it did hurt her to wee and now she is worried it will. I had a dog like that. It took months before he wasn't afraid of it hurting to go. At least she is eating. All my pets have been put down when suffering was greater than the life they had such as when one of my dogs had a major stroke and just kept looking at me for help. I had to help him and since there was no fixing it for him I put him down. I hope you don't have to do that - it's a hard thing to do.

Admiral Hestorb said...

A dear friend of mine on the Cat Blogosphere read your blog and has these links for you.

I will look to see if you have an email address so I can send you her post.


http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_idiopathic_cystitis.html
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/flutd/info.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_transitional_cell_carcinoma.html
http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/oncology_bladder_tumors.htm
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/kidney-disease

The Island Cats said...

We're still purring very hard for Fluffy and we hope the vet can figure out what is going on with her. A/D is a very palatable food...we hope Fluffy eats it all up!!

The Lee County Clowder said...

Sending healing purrrrrsss and a {{hug}} to you both.

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

I am so purring for Fluffy I hope the boss vet finds out what is wrong and that it can be helped. We feel so much for our pain and know how much it hurts. I think the fact that is has hurt when Fluffy has gone to use her tray makes her nervous now. Praying that she feels better soon.. Hugs GJ x

mrsnesbitt said...

Sending hugs and purrs to you both hun Fluffy is with the best nurse there is - I agree with the comment re his weeing hurting once before - I would think it might bea bit like I feel when I get cystitis - it is the thought which worries me. HUGS Dxx

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Dearest Helena...please forgive my tardy response to your worrisome post. My PC is sick with a dreadful virus and might never get up again. I didi not want to pass it on so this is coming via a borrowed laptop which is new.
I am so very sorry anout Fluffy. So many have given you such good advice. All I can offer is that you should make her days as cozy as you can. that is what i do with Miss Peach...next month she will turn 18. She is so thin but fiesty still and can jump on the kitchen counter for her water out of the faucet. She just slapped her tail into my mouth as she is sleeping behind my head on the back of the sofa under a blanket on a heated down pillow.
Each day is a gift with our dear old girls. I am thinking about you both and pray for recovery soon. Wish I could hug you close...please know how much I care...love Karla

Brian's Home Blog said...

My sisters and I are all sending tons of purrs to sweet Fluffy and we sure do hope she starts feeling lots better.

Feronia said...

Big huggy purrs for sweet Fluffy. x

Stardust said...

Am glad that the boss saw her afterall,and let's hope that her symptoms subside. Poor thing indeed to have lost so much weight. Feel better Fluffy!

Everycat said...

I'm very glad that Fluffy saw the head vet. We lost one cat to bladder cancer, Patti, she was 17.5 yrs old and the only way the vets could establish if there was a tumour was via a contrast x ray, Which sadly showed an inoperable tumour. There was no mention of bladder lining cells showing up in the urine analysis. Bladder lining cells in cats can start to shed when there is inflamation because the mucosal lining has broken down (lots of things can cause this, from stress to bacterial infection) It doesn't automatically mean something really nasty is going on.

I think you are doing such a good job of keeping Fluffy comfy and happy. We are all sending her and you lots of rumbly purrs and love.

Whicky Wuudler

Beanie Mouse said...

Lots of cuddles from me!!