Juggling life through a bi-polar lens. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly trying to tread water in the middle. Creating a likeness to a normal life. Whatever "normal" is...

Wednesday 11 April 2012

52/4

Went to a book fair on Monday :) there was a stall covered in children's books.

I spotted Mrs Pepperpot- I used to love those stories! But I couldn't stretch to the £7 they wanted.
I did find a copy of Issi Noho, the magical panda. The author, Keith Chatfield had even signed it. I was very happy to part with £2.50 for this visit to my childhood reading....
I also had to buy Green Smoke because I can't come home with a bear book unless I also have a dragon book, and vice versa...


 ISSI NOHO by Keith Chatfield

His first journey to the bathroom each morning was always taken in a twilight daze.



The panda's name comes from the letters left on a packing case that he shelters in. The full notice said "THIS SIDE UP" and "USE NO HOOKS". But the only part still ledgible is IS SI NO HO.

Unlike in other children's adventure books of this type, the children don't come upon their magical new friend gradually, a few paragraphs or even chapters in: ISSI opens the book himself with the words, "Excuse me, but I suppose you wouldn't have such a thing as a bamboo shoot about you?"

It turns out that ISSI has magical cards which give him exciting powers but his spells often go wrong because he's not very good at adding up the numbers on the cards.


**** *** **** *** **** ***
Thanks to everyone who joins in with this, btw!

If you want to join in too, pick up any book, go to page 52, then go to the 4th line. Give us whatever sentences cross the 4th line. i.e. you may have to go back a bit or forward bit, but the 4th line is your guide!

Either put your finding on your blog and tell us in the comments to this post, or just write the entry itself in the comments. Simples!

**** *** **** *** **** ***



6 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Hollywood Headlines Mysteries Hollywood Scandals Gemma Halliday

Max snorted. Vin tilted his head to the side, I is clearly trying to get inside Ms. Juggs stretchy little top. " Tough being the boss, huh,?"

Blue said...

ISSO sounds a fun read.
Book Fairs I like a lot, regretably found none here in DM.

Do tell Bob I'm doing bears today!
http://blue-startingover.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/524-book-meme.html

Eileen said...

Yesterday I received 2 copies of 'The Creative License', one for me and one for our two grown sons, and 2 of Ed Emberley's drawing books (for said sons, 34 & 26) which they enjoyed as boys. Yippee for them and for me!

I'm just back from another 2+ hours of physical therapy, and I should have looked for a cheery book to quote from today, but have chosen a thought-provoking one instead, 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert M Pirsig.

"The light from the motorcycle headlight is full upon me so that the knife, when it goes down into the mess gear, is in full shadow and I can't see where it's going."

Feronia said...

What a gorgeous looking book, Helena. A magical panda - love!!

Now, here's mine from The Daughter of Time by Josephine Fey:

"So whether he loved her or not, she must have been a companion for him. When you sit on the throne I suspect that companionship is a rare blessing."

Feronia said...

Ooops. That should be Josephine Tey!

Mrs Mac said...

Angel and Kirby, your book sounds very mysterious!


Blue, Bob is pestering me to buy the book you featured.


Eileen I've heard of that Zen book but never seen it to pick it up and flick through. It sounds fascinating.


Feronia, I got the wrong picture in my head when I first read yours as 'sitting on the throne' is a phrase my dad uses to mean 'sitting on the loo'. Ahem. Sorry. LOL. I like Josephine Tey too.