Juggling life through a bi-polar lens. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly trying to tread water in the middle. Creating a likeness to a normal life. Whatever "normal" is...

Wednesday 4 April 2012

52/4

the Creative License
-giving yourself permission to be the artist you truly are
by Danny Gregory

It can be as big as a table or it can fit in your hip pocket. It can be kept on 300lb. imported watercolour paper, on the ruled pages of a Grade School composition book, or on a sleek website.

-In this chapter the author is talking about art journals, particularly that there are no real rules about what they are or what they look or feel like.

A few years ago someone gave me a gift voucher for Amazon as a joint birthday and Christmas present. I really enjoyed spending it! This was one of the half dozen or so arty books I bought. I have just started re-reading it. I never finished it before. No matter how 'hands on' art books try to be, I still feel slightly in awe of these pristine examples of someone else's work. That was until a few nights ago, when I awoke with a start and knocked my glass of water flying. I cleared up what I could, sleepily and halfheartedly. "Oh well it's only water," I thought, one eye shut. I felt around to check that nothing electrical was damp, then went back to sleep.

So...........now................. my copy of this book is all bent and bubbly from water damage HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA and in being so no longer has a halo to be respected. The gloves are off. I feel some inky doodling coming on.... :)


**** *** **** *** **** ***
Thanks to everyone who joins in with this, btw!

If you want to join in too, pick up any book, go to page 52, then go to the 4th line. Give us whatever sentences cross the 4th line. i.e. you may have to go back a bit or forward bit, but the 4th line is your guide!

Either put your finding on your blog and tell us in the comments to this post, or just write the entry itself in the comments. Simples!

 **** *** **** *** **** ***

6 comments:

Blue said...

Love that tale Helena - as books are to be read, used - not to be in awe off yet I have a few books I'd be happier with if not so pristine!

My long winded entry is here ...
http://blue-startingover.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/524-book-meme-and-missed-travel.html

Eileen said...

I'm going to look up that book, Helena, and maybe order a book for myself and another for my two grown sons who both love to draw/doodle, too!

My 52/4 this week is from a book I found at a flea market called 'The Nine Modern Day Muses (and a Bodyguard' - 10 Guides to Creative Inspiration for Artists, Poets, Lovers, and Other Mortals Wanting to Live a Dazzling Existence, by Jill Badonsky, M.Ed. I'm on page 'xi', so have have a way to go. But, here's the quote:

"Dr Seuss's first book was rejected forty-five times. JFK finished last in his Ivy League college. Charles Schulz was rejected by Disney."

By the way, Helena, I felt inspired by your 4x6 art, and as most of my art stuff is in boxes in storage, I bought myself a pack of thin, cheap 4x6 index cards, a glue stick, some colourful markers, children's glitter glue and a children's watercolour set. I'm looking forward to going with the flow!

Mrs Mac said...

Eileen, I am intrigued by your book!
To add to the quote- I think I read that 'Catch 22' was rejected 45 times as well!!!

Glad that you bought some stash to play with. The thing I find hardest is letting go. I have blank canvases and books of pristine paper. SOmething holds me back. Why don't I just play? It's only paper, card, canvas. What's the worse that can happen? I might make something I'm not happy with. But then I can call that practice. Or turn it into something else. I wish I could let go!!! I think maybe I'm afraid if I do, it will be like letting toothpaste out of the tube- I'll never get it back in again and then maybe I'll be out of control.... but then.... hmmm what's so bad? 'Scuse me waffling!!!

Mrs Mac said...

Blue, someone recommended I go and see Memoirs of a Geisha when it was on but I never got round to it. I shall keep an eye out for the book!

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

mew is for murder by Clea Simon


People like Dougie might never actually recover, but if he could settle into a regular routine, he'd be more likely to stay in his medications and out of trouble.

Feronia said...

"Miles ran over and grabbed it. The fish fought hard against his hands but he managed to unhook its jaw and chuck it in the plastic tub."

from Past the Shallows by Favel Parrett.